I used to hate the way my alarm sounded when I had to wake up at 4:30 am. I would drag my half-asleep body to the shower and shock it into wakefulness. That triggered some kind of mood, usually displeased or cranky because it was fighting the realization that my day was starting and I just wasn’t ready to face it.
This went on for many years because I worked in a pre-operative surgical unit in the hospital that opened up the doors at 5:30 am to get people ready for surgery by 7:00 am. It was an efficient machine and I survived on coffee, cafeteria food and 4.5-6 hours of sleep.
That was five years ago and now, when my alarm goes off at 6:20 am, I bounce out of bed with a smile on my face ready to start my day. I’m actually excited and happy instead of displeased and cranky. I’m in a different place now and doing my dream work.
Resigning from my job was the best decision I ever made. I was scared to make that change because I had conditioned myself to believe in the storyline that you go to school, work hard and then get the reward. However, after taking care of homeless, indigent and uninsured patients for well over a decade, I realized that life was too short to go after the dangling carrot in hopes of getting the ‘just reward.’
You’ve got to do something different and get off someone’s wheel if you’re going to give your own dream a shot.
I made a leap of faith and decided that it was time to start designing my life instead of waiting for that perfect moment for things to fall “just in place.” I knew that life was precious and time was of the essence. That’s when I decided to shift my relationship with how I started my day. That was where I needed to start.
Many successful entrepreneurs often talk about waking up early, working out, taking time to meditate and connect to their vision, intention and purpose. I had never given myself that time before because I was always in a rush to clock in on time for someone else’s schedule. I didn’t realize how transformative this one action could be if I truly implemented it and consistently followed through.
Since I’ve applied these techniques, my viewpoint and perspective of the world has shifted and changed for the better. I see possibility in place of limitation. I feel expansiveness in place of fear and constriction. I’m open to wonder and curiosity instead of boredom and blocks.
I share this with you because I know the feeling of the ‘pandemic weight.’ It’s not just a physical build-up of weight but also an energetic and vibrational heaviness. This can cause us to feel lethargic, despondent, uninterested and disconnected from what we want to do.
It’s time to wake up, my friend. Life is beginning to bloom around you.
We seems to be shifting as we step closer to the Spring Equinox, a time to clear the space of old energy and usher in new intentions. So try one of these 10 Ways and see what difference it makes in your life!
#1. Wake up with ONE statement of gratitude
• One statement of gratitude, even a ‘Thank You’, allows you to appreciate what you have in the moment. That allows you to embrace the richness of your life. Just one statement can be the springboard for how you start your day.
#2. Ask for a Day of Heaven on Earth and say YES to the possibilities of things going your way
• You don’t have to wait to die to experience Heaven on Earth. You can have that NOW when you permit yourself to ask for it and receive it. Heaven on Earth is acknowledging your Divinity and others. Its allowing you step into a plane of higher consciousness and see potential instead of potholes. Its a shift in perspective that aligns to Source instead of against it.
#3. Take a moment to visualize how you’d like your day to look and feel like. Take only 30 seconds to a minutes.
• It’s true that what you think about, you bring about. Start seeding that vision in your sub-conscious and conscious field what happiness, joy, purpose, ease and grace looks like. Don’t get lost in the storyline. How you design your day is up to you. Try and see the outcomes in a light and easy way.
#4. As soon as you sit up in bed, take a moment and take 3 DEEP BREATHS. With each inhale, state this mantra as you are exhaling: “I bless myself, my day and my life.”
• This is an important act of self-care and love. Blessing yourself is something many people just don’t do. They either feel guilty, bad or don’t feel like they deserve it. This is a gift you’re giving yourself that no one else can. You’re essentially stating that God/Spirit/Source is blessing you through the power of your breath. This action can uplift, energize and support feelings of gratitude, happiness and ease.
#5. Take a moment to Bless at least 5 people in your life that you know. Then take a moment to Bless at least 5 people/groups/land/animals/anything in the world.
• Blessings are free and powerful boosters of Source energy. When you share blessings with others in the world, you are cultivating hope, connection and love for others. When you share blessings with complete strangers, land, animals and others who are negatively impacted, you are doing your part to uplift, support and contribute energetically. Frequencies stack up and add up and do help to shift the pendulum to a more caring and positive world.
#6. Drink water within the first 30 minutes of waking up.
• Water is the elixir of life and contributes to your connection on Earth. Drinking water immediately when you first awaken allows your organs, system and skin the get hydrated and get the boost to start working efficiently. It also helps to get the lymphatic system moving to help flush toxins out of the body. Plus, it nourishes and rehydrates the thought processes, allowing neurons to fire easily in the brain.
#7. Take a moment to let your body land, ground and stretch into the space of its human energy field
• When you give yourself time to land after a night’s sleep, you give yourself the opportunity to be grounded in your body, mind and spirit. This is a gift to yourself and takes less than 15 seconds. This is a gift of attention, presence and calibration. Calibrating yourself and energy influences the tone, vibration and energy of your day. Taking a moment to arrive and be present with yourself and your energy field also helps you direct your focus so you’re not distracted by stimuli that pulls you from your equilibrium.
#8. Make a list of your Top 3 Priorities
• Time is your more precious commodity and how you intentionally use it determines your success, productivity and state of mind. When you prioritize your top 3 tasks that absolutely have to get done that day, you tap into a superhero ability to get things done. In addition, these top 3 priorities slowly move you closer towards your goals while giving you a sense of harmony and flow in your purpose. These top 3 priorities also help you command your energy and space. This allows you to protect your time so that you can focus and complete what you start.
#9. Take time to set your intentions, prayers or connection with Source.
• We all live busy lives with activities, work, families and commitments. When we take a few minutes to energetically connect to Source, this helps to charge our spiritual and energetic batteries for the day. This gives us the ability to relate to others, pay attention to opportunities coming and align with Source energy. This action helps to release us from the Karmic Wheel when we consciously choose actions and make decisions that align to our highest and best good.
#10. Take time to connect with Nature and be with the trees.
• Getting out in nature, even for 20 minutes a day has therapeutic and life-affirming qualities. Being in nature and surrounded by trees increases your immunity, decreases stress, boosts mood and helps you regain perspective and focus. This is an important contribution to your health and work because it helps you align to the Source field and get your cup filled. This also helps you release energetic waves and frequencies that you trap in your own human energy field and reset back to calm and balance.
Notice, none of these 10 ways start off with getting on your phone, checking your email or scrolling your social media feeds. You’ll have time for that later. What matters is what you do with that precious 1-2 hours when you first arise.
Depending on how you use this time, you can be quite impactful, focused and productive throughout the rest of your day. You can absolutely design your dream life. That first step begins with how you start your day!